Sunday, January 26, 2014

On gratitude and perspective

I have done a tremendous amount of whining lately. To friends, colleagues, family, God, myself...really anyone who might listen. I don't like to think I've always been a whiner but maybe I am not being very honest with myself. I hate it either way.


This has been a tough few weeks. We've had so much going on personally and professionally and Alaina just keeps getting sick. I mentioned in the last blog that she had 3 doctors' appointments in one week. We went to the ENT on Tuesday and discovered she had an ear infection. The good news was that her tubes were still in place. I was really happy to hear that. She was put on a 10-day course of omnicef and ear drops. I felt a little hopeful because omnicef has been a miracle drug in the past. I was hoping that she would start sleeping better and eating again. She might have, too, except Tuesday afternoon she got a fever and on Wednesday she threw up. She didn't eat almost at all Tuesday-Thursday. I started her on a probiotic last week but she was barely eating or drinking so I'm not even sure how much she got. She perked up on Thursday even though she wasn't eating. Friday night she went back to seeming nauseated and clingy (with a low grade fever) but she did eat a few crackers and eventually seemed happy. Today she was cranky but mostly back to normal (other than her appetite). However, her cough has returned with a vengeance, waking her up to the point that we just gave her a dose of Benadryl, which we really try to reserve for worst case scenarios.







So, it's been an ongoing, frustrating battle. We've been so fortunate that Chad and I have been able to tag team her care. However, it is really wearing on us; particularly me as I have only worked one full day since the semester began. Thus, the viscous cycle of complaining. 

And here's the thing. Every single time I complain or feel frustrated (& it has gotten ugly at times and I even annoy myself), I am overwhelmed with guilt. We truly have been so blessed. My goodness. What's a few viruses when we have a generally healthy (& oh so cuddly) little girl? What's the big deal about feeling work pressure when I have a truly wonderful job with amazing colleagues and patient students? We also have a wonderful home, 2 reliable vehicles, family and friends who remind us it will get better soon and offer so much help and support, and colleagues who push me to consider how fortunate I am to have such flexible employment. At this point, I'm trying to maintain this perspective. I'm attempting not to invalidate my feelings that this has been difficult and frustrating; just remembering that others deal gracefully with much worse. Also--sorry to all those who've been subjected to the pessimism. I'm working on it, I promise. :)

Here is a video a of the best moments of the last week:


No comments:

Post a Comment