Monday, December 1, 2014

25 Days of Christmas: Day 1--Cookie Man Houses & Kindness Elves

I will admit, there are some things I don't know about Christmas traditions. For instance, why are there 25 days of Christmas for advent calendars but only 12 days of Christmas in the song? That's probably a pretty idiotic question but growing up, I don't recall us doing advent calendars and I certainly never had a partridge in a pear tree. Much to my mom's chagrin, I stopped believing in Santa when I was 3 years old. We didn't have the Elf on a Shelf. And yet, Christmas was spectacular. The first thing I remember about Christmas was when I was 3 or 4 years old and my parents bought me a little kitchen set. I have very distinct memories of seeing my Papaw carry it out of the store to hide it for them and knowing I wasn't supposed to see it. I remember another year when our heat went out and dad had to bundle up and fix it. We had tons of Christmas Eves with Mommy Alene and Daddy Delmar and trips in the winter snow around the Kentucky mountains to see Mamaw and Papaw for Christmas day. I remember getting oranges, walnuts, and snickers bars from Papaw's church, wrapping presents with mom, and attempting to play Christmas carols on Mommy Alene's piano. I definitely need to get back home for a visit.


Today started our new little Christmas traditions.

I saw an adorable story about kindness elves. I love seeing other people's Elf on the Shelf ideas. The mischievous antics are cute but didn't quite fit with me (it's hard for me to understand why an elf who is supposed to be reporting a kid's good behaviors can get into so much trouble!) but I do love seeing others' fun! The kindness elves fit well with wanting to model kind behaviors for A. I know that she won't quite get it this year but they were just so irresistible, I decided to start the tradition now. Thanks to Kristin for picking these guys up at Target for us! They will stick around with notes to remind us to do things like wrap the gifts for our child from the angel tree, bake for my departmental holiday party, make crafts, and put together presents for classmates. All things that I wanted to do this holiday season but with little elves to remind us about them. 


Excited she's allowed to hold her elves
We also started an Advent calendar. Baby A is thrilled with the idea of getting a piece of chocolate every day. Chad is sad that I didn't pick up three calendars from Rocky Mountain. ;) Under each window is a line from Twas the Night before Christmas.




We also made a first attempt at "cookie man houses". I have to admit, I was expecting the houses to be a total disaster or A completely losing interest after just a few minutes. She was completely engrossed in them, though. I'd love to say that she did the piping since it looks like it was done by a toddler but alas, decorating has never been my forte.

Later this week, we may make some Christmas trees from ice cream cones. Tomorrow I hope we can make it out to OSU for the "Fanfare of Lights" if it isn't too cold. If it is, we will stay home and read a Christmas book.










No comments:

Post a Comment