Sunday, December 7, 2014

25 Days of Christmas: Day 7--Holiday sensory bin

Today ended up being a really fun day. It's a little surprising given that the day started on a pretty whiny note. Baby A was very unhappy about going to the grocery store.


Today's Christmas activity was to make Christmas sensory bins. I got the idea from a friend, Nic, who is also doing 25 Days of Christmas. The recipe for the rice was just food coloring and extract. We used vanilla and almond so the house smelled like Christmas cookies! It smelled oh so delicious. It made it okay that I was not able to find the peppermint extract I had been planning to use.







Finished product:



I will probably add some plain white rice to play with it in the future. I've held off on making sensory bins with rice for a long time just because it seemed like a huge pain. It actually wasn't bad to make at all--under half an hour for the whole thing and A played with it even longer than that. Her excitement was so fun to watch. She played quietly for almost an hour. Definitely a win. I was wondering if I she would be willing to do a different sensory box every afternoon...






It was messy but having it on a large sheet helped contain the mess! Jasper did try eating some of the rice so I would recommend keeping it away from pets or infants.




I know this isn't the point but...can we take a moment to just notice these eyelashes?







We are so lucky that she isn't terribly destructive. At first she thought it was too messy and was really hesitant to play. At the end, she was even pouring it on her feet.


Lest anyone think that our A is too calm and never rowdy, I present this. She asked me to lay down with her to pretend to be sleeping on the rice and then she pounced...


2 comments: