Thursday, December 11, 2014

Revise and Resubmit

It's hard to step away from the academic mindset. As promised, Samantha posted a (very!) detailed analysis of my schedule on her Dr. Psych Mom blog. It was so much like opening a decision letter of a submitted manuscript! When someone else is analyzing your work, it's easy for the first response to be defensiveness. This is why most academics skim a decision letter and then won't look at it again for a few days because they are thinking "did you even read the manuscript?!? clearly you don't know what we are talking about!" (folks used to throw it in drawers but now they all come via email...) But once past that initial emotion, you can see clearly that there are some really good points and things that will make it a stronger paper. These reviewers were selected for a reason and probably actually know what they are talking about (except when you have a poor editor, editor/reviewers with a bias, or editors who choose not to listen to reviewers...but I digress). That was my take away from Samantha's analysis. Not everything fits (ahem, our postal worker sees an amazon box and automatically assumes it is coming to our house...) but there were tons of things that she hit dead on. Tomorrow I will post more specifics about what I plan to implement but I wanted folks to have a chance to see her analysis first.

3 comments:

  1. I found this incredibly interesting and cant wait to here what you try. We could all do better with time management! An important thing I took away from it though was how awesome of parents you and Chad are and how hard you all work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I am hoping to finish an updated blog soon. And thanks for the compliment. We definitely try!

      Delete
  2. http://sweattbabyblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/where-does-my-time-go-follow-up.html

    ReplyDelete