Saturday, December 6, 2014

25 Days of Christmas: Day 5--Tinsel Tulsa


Today was a very busy day. We had to take A back to the pulmonologist for a 6-month check up. I'll update that on a separate post so I can keep these activity related. After her doctor's appointment and lunch, we committed one of the #1 parenting mistakes a person can make by taking A to Build a Bear. Fortunately, I was armed with knowledge gained from a recent Scary Mommy blog post so I knew to avoid the scents, sounds, and heartbeats. But somehow we still ended up spending far more time, money, and energy than I expected. And we ended up loving it. After A wandered the store for awhile, of course.










She is even sleeping with her new monkey tonight. 




In a "day of firsts" we also took A's first (and second) carousel ride. To say she was in love would be a massive understatement.


She napped a bit in the car on the way home. Once we were back, we discovered two packages on the porch. One was presents from Grandma and Grandpapaw, which we've put under the tree (along with the adorable new Christmas book pictured with the elves above). The other was the elusive felt Christmas tree that I've been seeking after for a month.

Isn't it lovely and fun? Look at all the happy children, glowing with pride at their tree.


What's not to love? 


It features toddler sized ornaments which can be used and reused because felt sticks to felt.

 

Except it sort of doesn't.


And it all comes tumbling down and your 35-year-old self handles frustration less calmly than the toddler as you stomp your feet and growl at Target. You force yourself to walk away and come back to felt pieces all over your floor (I didn't get a shot of the entire mess once the whole thing fell).


Ultimately though, I ended up really liking the thing. I used a push pin on the top and put masking tape on the arms and base. To stop the 'light' swirls from coming off (which was what led to all the yelling at the ceiling earlier), I put adhesive on them to keep them on the tree. Everything else can be put back pretty easily. It ended up being very cute.


I started to say that it's held up well since I made the adjustments but I just looked again in that direction and it appears the tree skirt and presents have fallen to the floor again...

2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! Our felt tree struggled too. The kids liked it so I say its a win but I wish it was better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours is still up now and I no longer give it the side-eye when I walk by. :) I really was expecting it to be so much better!

    ReplyDelete