Saturday, January 19, 2013

{Baby} Favorite things part 2: Websites & books!


So I thought of a number of additional things I would recommend and noticed lots were books or websites/blogs. So I figured I could add those here. I should note, google is my go-to website for pretty much everything. However, I noticed that a lot of times I was going back to the same websites and blogs that I really liked. So here they are. Obviously these are just my opinions and I do not have any stake in any of these companies/websites, etc. 

Books

I mentioned this previously but pretty much the best resource I've found related to pregnancy or baby items, is Baby Bargains. Seriously awesome. I made most all of our decisions for the nursery and baby gear based on this book. There is also a website with a forum that is helpful.

In terms of pregnancy books, everyone recommends What to expect when you're expecting. But it's pretty alarmist so I avoided it. I did not need additional anxiety about every aspect of pregnancy. I found the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy to be much more user-friendly. I'll be honest that I was not great about reading it regularly, though. But the information in it was good. 

We have been fortunate that Alaina sleeps really well. For awhile we had some difficulty with naps though so I bought the No cry nap solution on the Kindle. I liked it and think that if we were going to sleep train at night, I would probably use the No cry sleep solution, which has been useful for a number of people that I know. In general, I think a lot of sleep books contain the same information and fall on either end of the no crying or modified cry it out (CIO) spectrum. For now, we prefer to not use CIO but recognize that may change. As with everything, many of these decisions are based on what works best for your baby and your family. I also considered the Happiest Baby on the Block. I don't think I could ever recommend Babywise, based on the little bit that I have read of it, but I do know some people (including parents at our daycare) swear by it. Most of these books also have associated websites so you can take a look on those to get some assistance.


Websites

I have spent a tremendous amount of time looking for information on breastfeeding, proper latch and milk transfer, dairy (and other) allergies, fever, sleep strategies, product recommendations, etc. Fortunately, there are some truly amazing resources available! I also got/still get weekly emails from Baby Center, Pampers, etc.

My favorite breastfeeding-related website is Kellymom. They include articles about everything you can think of or worry about. There are also great resources about pumping, how long expressed milk lasts in various methods of storage, concerns about low supply, proper weight gain, etc. The website also doesn't sugar coat or pretend that breastfeeding is without problems. The La Leche League website is also very helpful in this regard and can direct you to local groups and lactation consultants.

Another useful site is run by Jack Newman, a physician in Canada that specializes in breastfeeding. The videos from this clinic are an invaluable resource. There are a lot of sites out there that I wasn't as much a fan of because I felt a bit marginalized because we also supplemented with formula. But there is still great information on the internet.

Due to sometimes feeling marginalized and getting down right depressed at all the difficulties Alaina had with breastfeeding (and associated mommy guilt/feeling privately judged), being told about the website Fearless Formula Feeder really may have saved my sanity. I know I discussed this site before but it really is amazing. So many smart women who provide their stories and support one another's decision to feed their children in whatever way works for them, without judgment. It also gave me fresh perspective and reminded me of the importance of reading original research critically, rather than accepting the media's interpretation of data. I believe even women who breastfeed exclusively could benefit from reading some of the articles and stories presented.

In terms of sleep, I really enjoy the My Baby Sleep Guide blog. This website summarizes the major sleep books, information about "normal" sleep and wake times, etc. Lots of great information about sleep routines, too.

I wish I hadn't needed it but the Go Dairy Free website helped me make it through the dark days without dairy! The lists of hidden dairy, links to restaurant menus, and suggestions for snacks and substitutions were fantastic!

I mentioned previously that I love the Wholesome Baby Food and Baby Led Weaning websites for making food at home.

I have also spent a great deal of time on the Science of Mom, Dr. Sears, and Peaceful Parenting websites. I don't always agree with all of the information (or at least the manner in which it is) presented but overall, I find them very helpful. For example, I always consult the Dr. Sears site about fever and when to medicate/call the pediatrician.

If you need a laugh, Honest Toddler is awesome.

In terms of shopping, I check the following websites daily: Baby Steals (frequent amazing deals on must-have items like Aden and Anais muslin blankets, Halo Sleep Sacks, baby legs, etc.), Baby Half Off, Green Baby Bargains, Kids Woot, Mama Bargains, Zulily, and Totsy. I also have an unhealthy addiction to Etsy.

Apps

Toward the end of the second trimester, doctors want you to track how often the baby is kicking. I downloaded the free version of Baby Kicks and really liked it.

Blogger also has an app which is great for being able to post blogs in the early months when I wasn't able to log onto a computer. You can upload pictures from your phone onto the blog very easily. I haven't figured out how to upload videos, however.

I mentioned the Baby Connect app before. Seriously amazing if you're a tracker. However, it is very possible to raise a happy, well-adjusted baby without tracking every minute of sleep, every ounce of milk, and every dirty diaper. I just wouldn't know how to function that way! It has especially come in handy with the dairy sensitivity and potential food allergies.

Most people already have Pandora on their phone or iPod. However, did you know there is a Lullabies station? Seriously amazing. And doesn't make you want to poke your eyes out. Usually. Chad and I both love the many versions of the Rainbow Connection. I think the Dixie Chicks version is our favorite. :)

The Sporcle (free) app got me through many nights of extended nursing and pumping sessions. Loved it! Just lots of random, timed trivia.

Hope you found some of these helpful. I may think of more in the future and update.

No comments:

Post a Comment