Sunday, October 26, 2014

What's more common than PPD?


You don't actually know what you're doing, do you?
I recently wrote a piece on postpartum anxiety for my friend Samantha's blog, Dr. Psych Mom. There are so many topics that seem taboo, especially related to mental health or difficulties as a new parent. This is the kind of post that is certain to get calls from family (ahem, mom) or close friends, upset that I hadn't shared this experience with them. Hopefully this post helps explain that, too. More than anything, I hope sharing my story provides some validation for others who have been through it. 

Becoming a parent is anxiety provoking. People who never worry suddenly become stricken by fear that they will accidentally drop their newborn baby as they stumble from room to room in a sleep-deprived state. Common/“normal” fears include hitting the baby’s head, forgetting the baby somewhere, something being wrong with the baby, or being a terrible parent. Sometimes, though, anxiety can become paralyzing. This was my experience. In general, I am not anxious. However, things changed after having my daughter...

No comments:

Post a Comment