Saturday, November 8, 2014

Superhero Mom

I saw a blog post on Momastery about how she had to make homemade play-doh for her daughter to take to school and it made her feel like a total rockstar. I totally know that feeling! One of her comments was that, for the first time, she had to buy flour and salt at the grocery store (her husband usually shops and they don't often bake). It made me realize how fortunate we all are to have our own talents and that we should cultivate those rather than bemoaning the things we can't do well. I am so incredibly impressed by the moms who can sew, in particular. Some days I think I would like to learn how to sew but honestly, I think I am too impatient and can't imagine being able to do it. I'm also impressed by moms who vacuum every day, actually scrub their floors, or go running. If you've been to my house or know me, you know that's not what I do well. In my house, I am a good baker and I am good at validating and am fairly patient. Outside my house, I am pretty good at my job and I am magical at finding things on the internet. But none of those things make me feel like a superhero. Those superhero moments come at the funniest times. I imagine moms of multiple kids have them much more often. Here are times I felt like a superhero:
  • My first lunch date where I drove with a baby in the backseat. I drove. After a 6-week hiatus. And I had a tiny human in my backseat. We made it to Chili's alive.
  • The first time I roasted a whole chicken. Any time I magically *also* am able to carve the chicken in a way that doesn't look like a wild animal got a hold of it before it hit the table.
  • The day that I went to work, took A to get her flu shot, and made it back to work on time.
  • When I made baby food in the food processor.
  • Putting together toddler toys and furniture by myself.
  • Packing a tornado bag and getting a baby and 2 dogs out the door when there was severe weather.
  • Chad's first full week working out of town.
  • The moment right before the first guest walks in to a birthday party.
  • One time when every towel in our house was clean at the same time.
  • Almost every time I'm leaving the grocery store with a child who isn't screaming or crying.
  • Whenever a teacher or administrator suggest I am doing something right.
  • Those moments when A wants a snack or needs a wipe from my purse and I have one!
Thinking about these made me smile and also made me realize that I need to focus on them more in the moment! I mean, who doesn't want to feel like a superhero?

2 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this! I have to tell myself to quit focusing on the stuff I'm not doing (or not doing well). My superhero moments ARE often the small ones- where for just a bit I feel totally competent! The other night I pureed squash for the baby and felt proudly on top of the whole having-a-baby thing. Weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I never replied to this comment. I think you truly ARE super mom, Erin! Seriously though, having an ice cube tray full of freshly pureed baby food was always among my proudest moments!

      Delete