Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Another wasted copay

...I wonder if our therapy clients often think similarly?

So many times we leave the pediatrician's office (similarly to the vet or our own doctors, frankly) and say "well that was a waste."

Chad called the nurse yesterday just because Alaina is continuing with her cough and congestion and she is also not gaining weight, possibly due to the excessive spit up (which thankfully has slowed down) and stomach bug. We have her six month appointment next week but the nurse suggested we should go ahead and bring her in, especially due to her lack of weight gain. This was a little annoying given we figured they would say she's fine. But what else are they going to say if you call?

Her weight today (15 lbs 8.4 oz) was basically the same as it was on August 29 (and September 14 and September 20). The doctor was pretty unconcerned, saying she looks healthy and he can still pinch her rolls (he joked that she's not malnourished). He still called her a chub. He said he wasn't negating any concerns we had and that we should continue to monitor it but overall, he wasn't worried. I wouldn't call myself worried. It's just disconcerting for her to drop from the 76th percentile in weight to the 40th in less than two months.

And it is sad that she's losing her rolls. We love our chubby wubby roly poly.

He briefly considered sending her to OKC for a swallowing study to make sure she isn't aspirating but then changed his mind. He said unfortunately the cough may last awhile and he wasn't worried about her raspy, rattly breathing (I told Chad she should be Darth Vader for Halloween). He commended me on combo-feeding past six months. So that was nice.

And that was it.

And then I dropped her off at daycare and a few hours later they called to say I needed to come pick her up. Their rule is three (for lack of a better term) "bad diapers". So we've just been hanging out this afternoon, doing laundry and trying to slightly tidy up this trainwreck of a house since we have family coming to visit (my house may never be clean again). Good thing I had already moved my appointments for tomorrow since she can't go back to daycare for at least 24 hours after the last "incident." I swear, group child care both allows me to and completely prevents me from working...

No comments:

Post a Comment