Tuesday, January 3, 2012

08.18.11: Smudge!

And now for the moment we had waited so long for: ultrasound day. I was 6 weeks, 4 days so Chad and I were hopeful that we would see the start of a baby and maybe even see a heart beat. On the drive to the city, I was sick to my stomach. Not because of morning sickness but out of anxiety! I knew it was still early and that maybe we wouldn't see much of anything.

We got to the doctor's office and went back for the ultrasound. I was so glad that Chad was there with me! When the ultrasound started, the doctor and nurse were quiet as they looked around and then, I thought I saw something, just a dark dot. And--there the baby was! Literally like a smudge. Looked like a smudge of a fingerprint. And then we saw the flicker. The nurse had to point it out but there was Smudge's heartbeat. We were both so excited. It was real. We really had a baby growing! We went to lunch with friends of ours and it was really hard not to tell. Chad especially was bursting with excitement. But we decided it would be for the best to wait a little longer. Melissa told us a bit later that she had suspected something was up. :-)

The ultrasound did make Chad a little nervous though because he had seen pictures of what babies look like in the womb and he was expecting to see a baby, not a smudge. So when we got home, I showed him lots of other ultrasounds (thank goodness for google!) at 6 weeks which made him feel better. Three more weeks until the next appointment to make sure Smudge was still growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment