Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Glucose Tolerance Testing & Reappointment--eek!

Today was a day of poor scheduling! As I noted in a previous post, I had to take the 3-hour glucose tolerance test today and it was also the day the faculty met regarding my reappointment materials to vote on whether or not they agreed with the report written by the Departmental Academic Review Committee (DARC). What was I thinking in scheduling that? Is it any surprise I lost sleep last night?

Just like giving feedback to assessment clients, I like to get the bottom line out first. I passed the glucose test and the faculty unanimously voted in support of the DARC report, suggesting I should be reappointed/have my contract renewed. So yay. But wow, what a long day.

Because Chad is the best (though he sometimes needs to be not-so-gently reminded...), he went along with me to the hospital for the test. We arrived around 7:15 am and got checked in. We left at 11:30 am so yea, my doctor was right--3 hour test, my foot.
In all honesty, the test wasn't the worst experience of my life. It was not fun. I did not enjoy it. However, either I had a mild experience or others are full of hyperbole. For those who don't know (and are curious), the test starts out by first assessing your fasting glucose level. I did not eat after 7 pm last night and stopped drinking water before 9 pm. I then had to wait about 30 minutes for the lab results to come in. If I failed the fasting level, they might not have had me continue. For a moment, Chad and I looked at each other, both thinking it would be nice to not have to stick around the boring, not-quite-comfortable waiting room forever--especially since I couldn't eat or drink anything (including water!). But we shook it off, knowing the hope was to pass. Once they got the results that I passed the first test, I had to drink a 100-mg lukewarm glucose solution, supposed to taste like fruit punch. It wasn't completely awful but it was the consistency of maple syrup which slowed me down a little. But down the hatch it went, in 2 minutes and 8 seconds. :) So I then had blood drawn each hour for the next three hours. I have terrible veins (I would make a horrible IV drug user) so I'm a little marked up from their digging expeditions. They tried my right arm (I warned them not to!) but I ended up getting blood drawn from my right hand and then three draws from my left arm. Between draws, Chad played on the iPad and I read for class. We also people watched and got some interesting stories. The solution definitely caused a lot of nausea but the hardest part for me was not drinking water. I seriously drink water like it's my job. It just seems so sadistic to take a pregnant lady and make her not eat or drink for about 14 hours, especially when giving her a drink that makes her hungry and super thirsty. Ah well. Once it was all over, Chad and I went to lunch which was nice.

I don't have any details about the reappointment meeting (it's a confidential process) other than it seemed to go fine. The next step is that the department head writes an independent report. Both of those reports and most of my portfolio will then be forwarded to a college-level review committee. I believe they write another report that the Dean reviews. Then all of my information goes forward to the Provost. So I will have official word about reappointment around June or July. Yes, a terribly long process given this all started in September. And I get to do it all again in a few years for tenure!

Tonight Chad and I went to our third class. It was one on medical interventions, etc. Chad definitely learned a lot and I certainly have a lot to continue considering in the next couple of months.

So, that's it for now! Long day to be followed by nothing new to report. Next appointment is Tuesday. I don't expect anything that exciting but I'll keep you all posted.

3 comments:

  1. This glucose test sounds HORRIBLE. I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I would have quickly fainted with all the not-so-succesful needle pokes, and vomited after drinking that solution. And wouldn't you think there was a standard error around your test result of 130? ;-) Maybe you should give your docs a little statistics lesson. He he. I suppose better safe than sorry is always the way to go, however. Anyway, glad you, Chad, and Smudge survived. When do you find out the results?
    -Lauren xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore the last question. I missed that part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comment on standard error. You are so right. Clearly they don't talk about confidence intervals. :)

    ReplyDelete