Tuesday, January 10, 2012

27 weeks: Two trimesters down...

So, we are right on the border of the second and third trimester. It's really hard for me to believe. While I certainly would not say this pregnancy has gone fast, I strongly suspect it will speed up now. Lots of excitement in finishing the nursery, ordering the essentials, feeling her move, etc. We are now in the year of her birth!

This morning I had my last monthly doctor's appointment. Now I am on the every other week schedule. Big step. I had the gestational diabetes test today. I had the orange drink. It didn't taste great but about halfway through it (in combination with eating an egg for breakfast--I'm allergic) I definitely got queasy.  Given my family history of diabetes (both maternal and paternal), I am a little nervous about the results. If the numbers are over 130, I will have to take a 3-hour glucose tolerance test which I have heard is about the least fun thing ever. If the number is over 200, that's an automatic diagnosis of gestational diabetes. I am just really hopeful the number is under 130, preferably far below so it isn't even a question. Given how picky of an eater I am, I am terrified of the GD diet. In other doctor news, I had a surprise shot as well. I didn't realize it was already time for the Rhogam shot (because I am Rh-). Always fun. The good news is, I don't have a urinary tract infection. So that's good.

Fortunately after all that, I had some personal time for lunch so I went to a hair appointment. As many of you know, I've been growing my hair out to donate to Locks of Love. It seems like it has been forever that I've been growing it out. I have been wanting to cut it for over a year now and I knew it was close to the required 10 inches. I've been struggling at night because when I have to turn over, it's already hard enough with the carpal tunnel and the growing belly but my hair tended to get stuck under my shoulder and man, what a pain. So, off it was. I had to really, really convince Amanda that I was ready to take the plunge and we ended up cutting about a FOOT off. I like it and it's so nice to not have that extra weight. Chad is still deciding. He doesn't hate it but it's shorter than he expected.



In other news, I am SO excited because I got my diaper bag in the mail. Earlier this year, I got roped into the Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag craze but wondered who would be willing to spend that much on this kind of thing. Well, a friend told me about a crazy deal online and I was able to get it for about half off plus free shipping. I convinced Chad that it could be an early birthday present for me. I think he would have gone for it even if I hadn't said that--shoot. :) We both were very excited that it came in tonight. I am a little obsessed; I like it even more than I expected. Chad said it was the nicest bag he'd ever seen and that I better keep my eye on it so that some crazy pregnant lady doesn't steal it. This isn't the greatest picture because the design is actually yellow (not green). You can't tell in this picture but it also converts into a backpack. Yay.


We also had our second childbirth and newborn preparation class tonight. I think it is going fairly well. I am not 100% convinced they are worth it but I would rather regret going than not going. There are some interesting folks in there, that is for sure. I haven't really felt like I learned anything new but I am sure Chad is learning stuff and it is good to have it all written down in one place.

Last baby bump picture of the second trimester--with the new hair cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment