Tuesday, January 3, 2012

09.12.11: Smudge is a baby!

So a lot happened in just a few weeks. Unfortunately, my cousin, Brandon Mullins, was killed in Afghanistan on August 25, 2011. Very devastating news to my family. Chad and I knew that we wanted to go back to Kentucky for the funeral but it was tricky with his work schedule. He was able to get off work so that we could go but while we were waiting to find out, I decided it would be best to tell my family why we weren't able to commit to coming right away (I did not feel comfortable making the trip by myself). Getting the news out there made me more than a little nervous and most of the family was pretty cautiously excited. Brandon's funeral was on September 11, 2011. A very sad day to remember Brandon along with the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack on the United States. His funeral was beautiful and devastating.

For a video of the memorial service: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17217242

Unfortunately, we had to quickly leave Kentucky in order to make it back for our doctor's appointment on Monday afternoon. We drove most of the night on Sunday and made it to the city just 30 minutes before our appointment.

I was now 10 weeks and 1 day so we knew we should be able to see more detail, including the heartbeat. We very quickly were able to see that Smudge looked less like a smudge and more like a baby. It was such a relief to see that little heart beating away! It seemed like one really nice glimmer of hope after such a sad weekend! The doctor released us to go back to my regular doctor at home. We now felt ready to begin telling friends and family the good news. Though still not quite ready for the big Facebook announcement. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment