Tuesday, January 3, 2012

12.27.11: 25 weeks

Things are going well. The big news is that last week we hit 24 weeks which is awesome because it's known as "viability week." What that means is that if our little girl had been born last week, she would have had a 50% chance of surviving (with a great deal of medical assistance, of course). Each day that passes increases her odds by up to 3%. Obviously we want her to continue growing safely to term, but it is still so nice to have a little bit of reassurance that the odds are moving in our favor every day. She currently weighs about 1.5 pounds and is approximately 13 inches long. 
Along these lines, she is still very active and this week I have started tracking "fetal kick counts" each night. You should be able to feel movement at least 10 times in a 2 hour period and so far I've been able to feel 10 movements in between 2 and 20 minutes. Maybe she'll be a gymnast or a soccer player. :-) 

No new doctor's appointments until January 10 when I have my test for gestational diabetes (yikes). Also, no new symptoms to report.

We have mostly finished painting the nursery, with only the part that was taped off being left to cut in. Here is a little preview with her dresser and the room's paint (ignore the parts that need to be filled in!). 




Here are some progression pictures so you can see there really is a baby growing in there. ;) The pictures are in order--approximately 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, and 24 weeks. The picture from this week was pretty terrible so we'll have to take another one soon or we'll just wait to hit 26. Chad just loves taking these pictures each week...ha!



Chad and I spent Christmas in Oklahoma this year due to too much travel for weddings, funerals, birthdays, and conferences in the last year. It was sad and we missed seeing family. We had friends over for a nice, casual dinner. It's probably a good thing though, given this probably will be our last chance for a calm Christmas for awhile. :-) In Chad's stocking I put a onesie for the Detroit Tigers so he was pretty excited about that. 
We both are doing well. He loves his job. My job is also going great. I recently turned in all of my materials for "reappointment" (my third year review to determine if OSU wanted to renew my contract) and just got back the initial report from the departmental committee and things look good. So that's a relief obviously but this entire semester has been a bit of a wash in terms of productivity. It doesn't help that looking at baby strollers is a lot more fun than writing journal articles or grading reports. :-)

We are planning to go look at a daycare this week. My university's child development center doesn't take kids until they are at least 12 months old. I plan to do clinical supervision starting in June a couple of days a week and then I have a course release in the fall, so I only will be teaching one class that semester (instead of my usual 2). The faculty in my program have been super supportive and will be finishing up my spring semester and submitting grades once I go on maternity leave. I feel very fortunate to have such great colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment