Tuesday, January 3, 2012

All about the numbers

Because of our history, we went to the doctor the following Monday (08.01.11) to have blood work done. Our fingers (...and toes...and eyes...) were crossed, hoping to have good, strong numbers. I feel so fortunate to have compassionate and efficient nurses at our doctor's office to tell us the great news. The levels of hcg and progesterone (pregnancy hormones) were so much higher than we were expecting. I had hoped that my hcg would be at least 30 and the progesterone would be at least 20. Imagine my amazement to find out that my hcg was 197 and progesterone was above 40. Chad and I were over the moon. I could barely believe it!

Numbers in and of themselves don't really mean that much. What needs to happen is you need to see an approximate doubling of hcg within 48-72 hours. We went back to the doctor on 08.05.11 to be retested. My hcg levels were 386 and progesterone was 49.5. This made me a little nervous because it meant my doubling time was approximately 71 hours, which is on the high end of normal. However, thank goodness for those compassionate nurses because she was very reassuring and told me this was great news. They were not at all worried. So now we'd just have to wait another 2-3 weeks for an ultrasound. So nerve-wracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment