Sunday, March 18, 2012

21 days to go: Let the panic commence!

We have arrived! We are officially "full-term" at 37 weeks. This means if Alaina was born today, she would not be considered premature (and also that they likely wouldn't do anything to try to stop labor). Based on stats, she should weigh approximately 7 pounds and all of her internal organs should be able to  work on their own. We are also at the point that there are fewer associated problems and medical risks. I'm still not ready for her to come, though! In fact, it makes me a little crazy when people keep telling me I'm going to go early. Don't wish that on me; I'm not there yet! Chad is just as bad as anyone--I think he just finds it hard to believe that my belly (or my feet!) could get any bigger. :)
I got a little nervous on Wednesday. I kept having a mix of what were probably Braxton Hicks contractions and Alaina stretching for a couple of hours. However, they weren't really painful and I had no other symptoms of labor. But it made me a little nervous. This probably contributed to the really terrible night's sleep I had that night--I woke up a million times due to acid reflux and ended up having to sleep sitting up. Fortunately, things have been going fine since then! 


As I noted before, this week is my spring break. My list of projects at work and at home is quite lengthy! Tomorrow I plan to knock out of all my clinical responsibilities (mostly signing notes and reading summaries). I would also love to work on the revise and resubmit. Beyond that, I have two journal reviews due, 3 theses to read, 4 lectures to write, 8 mid-terms/8 papers/and 8 reports to grade...and a partridge in a pear tree...But seriously. I am so excited it's spring break. I really, really hope I can get all of this knocked out this week. I will feel tremendously more optimistic.


Today Chad and I went to the grocery store and stocked up on things for us to make several dinners to freeze for after Alaina's arrival. He made me promise him I won't make them all in the same day. He knows me too well. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to but that isn't to say I wouldn't have tried! Each meal should make 2-3 dinners. The meals I'm making over the next week are (I'm hyperlinking the recipes in case anyone is looking for new meals to try):


So hopefully they will be good. I know the first one is awesome because I've already made it four or five times. The others could be a flop! However, if this goes particularly well, we may do a few more, including pulled pork for sandwiches and tacos, Chad's amazing spaghetti sauce, muffins/breads, etc. Pinterest gave me a ton of great ideas! I just didn't want to be overly ambitious yet. We're fortunate that I also have a great group of friends who have offered to bring us dinners after Alaina is born.  


Wednesday is the big day for our 37 week appointment, growth scan, and tour of the hospital! I am also expecting a couple of packages of baby things in the mail this week. March 28-31 is a big consignment sale here in Stillwater (Adorable Affordables) so I am hoping we can get any of the necessities we're still missing then. It's apparently crazy so hopefully I can get plenty of rest the night before I go. I'll also be sure to wear my compression socks for the long lines! 


We keep chipping away at the list:

  • Find and meet with a pediatrician {I spoke with Dr. Voight and really liked her}
  • Finish painting and decorating the nursery
  • Launder and organize the baby clothes
  • Decide on a bring home outfit
  • Finish thank-you cards
  • Make meals to freeze {We stocked up on everything today and that's my plan for this week!}
  • Write "birth goals"
  • Determine what necessities we still need to buy
  • Pack our hospital bags {I started mine and Alaina's bags} 
  • Install the car seat
  • Find and schedule a photographer for newborn photos
  • {New this week} Talk to dog sitter

These photos were from last weekend but I thought I'd share them because they're so cute of the dogs. 







2 comments:

  1. Steph! I love these pictures, and I'm so excited for little Alaina! But I'll be praying she waits a while longer before she comes so you can be ready.. at least somewhat :) You are so organized with everything! I admire that so much and I hope I can be that way when I start having kids... Ha ha. I look forward to seeing more as the time draws near! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tori!! I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. You should definitely come nanny for us this summer. ;)

    ReplyDelete