Wednesday, March 21, 2012

...or that's a big baby!

So you all may remember that at my last appointment, my doctor announced that either Alaina was a big baby or I am just really short. After today's visit, it appears both of those statements are true!

This afternoon was super busy for us! I had my 37 week appointment and growth scan as well as pre-registration at the hospital. Our ultrasound was the first thing we did.  Unfortunately we couldn't get any pictures or video today as it was mostly just measurements and she was super squished in there. The tech kept trying to get a profile shot but Alaina was wedged under my pelvic bone, making it virtually impossible to even see her profile. We did get a glimpse of a super chubby cheek, though. It was very, very cute. I still couldn't tell if she has my nose or Chad's.


So, yea, what we learned today--Alaina is a little fatty. :) She was measuring at 7 pounds, 11 ounces at 37 weeks. Now it's important to note that ultrasound measurements can be off by a half to a whole pound. However, she also still has about 3 more weeks to pack on another 1.5-2.5 pounds. Yikes. Her head was already over 11 cm, measuring at 40w1d. Most of her measurements were around 39 weeks. We also saw that she has quite a bit of hair! That was pretty exciting.  


Chad and I met with the doctor afterward. My weight was the same as last week (which surprised me a little given the boxes of girl scouts we purchased last Monday!). My blood pressure was up just a little more (134/76) but nothing that causes the doctor concern. In other good news, my Group B Strep test was negative. The doctor said everything looks great. Alaina is still head down and quite low. My amniotic fluid was on the upper side of normal (still well within the normal range but she did say I may be one of the 30% of women whose water breaks on their own). I sort of had this feeling that she wasn't saying it but she was thinking Alaina will come early or that we'll have to do a c-section. However, it's more likely that I am just being paranoid--she wanted to wait until next week when she checks me before moving forward with a plan. We briefly discussed possibly inducing between April 9 and 16 (between 40w1d and 41w1d) but are waiting to decide this next week. I told her that if things continue to go well and there is no medical reason to induce sooner, I didn't want to go later than the 16th and preferred to not go before the 6th. All of this makes it sound like we actually have some control around this. It's like the Woody Allen quote "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."  


After that was the hospital tour and pre-admission. Talk about information overload!! When I left the hospital, my anxiety was through the roof. That definitely made it more real. Still coming down from that. 


Everything else is going pretty well! Continuing to do laundry and sort baby clothes and I've started making the meals to freeze (4 down, 2 to go!). Our house is a wreck though and no progress on the nursery. In work news, I was able to finish signing all my clinic notes yesterday (an all-day affair!) so I think this would help me sleep better at night, if I was able to sleep better, that is. I'm finishing one of the reviews tonight and hope to get a lot accomplished tomorrow. Yikes, the countdown clock just doesn't stop. 
  • Find and meet with a pediatrician 
  • Finish painting and decorating the nursery
  • Continue laundering and organizing baby clothes
  • Decide on a bring home outfit
  • Finish thank-you cards
  • Make meals to freeze {2 more to go!}
  • Write "birth goals"
  • Determine what necessities we still need to buy
  • Pack our hospital bags {I am slowly working on this} 
  • Install the car seat
  • Find and schedule a photographer for newborn photos
  • Talk to dog sitter
  • {New this week} Get more house keys made
  • {New this week} Buy curtains for front door

No comments:

Post a Comment